Hello every one,
I hope your Christmas preparations are well in hand and you have a little crafting time to help you unwind. As promised I've loaded the first project onto the blog, it is a card that I designed and taught in my regular card classes in Hockley. The instructions that I write up for these classes are also in inches as we are all of an age when inches were what we learnt at school and are a lot more detailed than the ones I use for the magazine projects, as with magazines, the space is at a premium and in class I have a very different mix of abilities,so you'll notice that instruction styles will vary from card to card. In class I teach using Marvey Le plume pens for colouring as I have enough of these for every one in the class so you'll find more detailed instructions for their use although I have added the details in bold for using Pro Markers or other alcohol based pens. If the lay out is a little clunky please bare with me, as this has been cut and pasted from the original publisher format and then edited but I'll get the hang of it in the end.
Hope you find the project useful
Making Up With Betty
Materials A4 sheet of white card, 4 1/2" x 3 1/2" piece of white card, black paper, silver pearl card, green background paper, silver Mirri board, 22" of 1cm wide black sheer ribbon, 2mm gem, Single line Happy Birthday stamp, Acid Drops AD17 Waste of make-up set.
Tools Die cut/embossing machine, swirl embossing folder, and either Black Versa fine pad & water based felt pens, e.g. Le plume, or a Black Memento pad and alcohol markers, e.g. Pro markers, basic tool kit ink double sided tape, (DST) or similar, clear stamp blocks.
1. Take the A4 piece of white card and cut 5 3/4 x 11 1/2”. Score and fold in half to make a 5 3/4" square card. Open up the card and fold the left hand panel in half, (left edge of the centre fold), and open out again.
2. Cut 2 pieces of green background paper 2 1/4” x 5 1/4” and 1 piece 2” x 5 1’4”. Mount all of these onto the black paper leaving an even very narrow border on all 4 sides. Run all 3 of these panels through the Cuttle bug using the swirl embossing folder.
3. With the fold of the card at the top, mount the 2 larger panels, (one either side of the crease/fold in the centre of the front panel) onto the front of the card leaving an even border on all 4 sides. Mount the smaller panel onto the bottom of the inside back panel of the card, leaving an even border on the left, bottom and right hand edges.
4. If Using water based marker pens, take the smaller piece of white card and cut a piece 4 1/2” x 3 1/2” and using the Black Versa Fine pad, stamp Betty, the border and the quote centrally onto the card. (when using more than 1 image on a panel it quicker and easier to line up the all the stamps onto a larger block, than to stamp each one separately).
5. When well dry take the Betty stamped image, the paintbrush and pens. Draw a little of each pen onto the plastic pallet leaving a good gap between each colour. Wet the brush and remove excess water by running it over the back of your hand. Pick a little of the colour from the edge, (don’t mix the brush into all of the puddle of colour as it will be too intense), and colour in the image. (Skin colour is a watery No 30 Rosewood pen) . To make the image dimensional, add more layers where you want shadow, (at sides, etc). If using alcohol based pens, stamp as above but use the Black Memento pad to stamp with and colour as normal with your alcohol pens.
6. When the colouring is completely dry, use the knife and the cutting mat and cut out the inside of the mirror. A good tip if you have any ragged edges is to gently go around the cut edges with a black pen by placing the side of the nib through the hole and gently brushing along the cut edge. Apply the silver Mirri board to the back of the hole and tape in place using DST.
7. Layer this panel onto the black paper leaving an even very narrow border on all 4 sides. Cut a piece of the silver pearl card 5” x 4” and layer the stamped panel onto it leaving an even border on all 4 sides.
8. Cut the black sheer ribbon in half, bring it around the back of the bottom front panel and fasten it in the centre where it will be hidden by the stamped panel using DST. Apply DST to the bottom 1 3/4” only of the back of the stamped panel and lining up the top of the stamped panel with the folded edge at the top of the card, layer it onto the front of the card leaving an even border right and left.. You should be able to fold the card open at the centre crease.
9. Take the remaining piece of black sheer ribbon, , bring it around the back of the bottom inside panel and fasten it in the centre where it will be hidden by the stamped greeting panel using DST.
10. Stamp the Happy Birthday Greeting onto a spare piece of white card, trim. Layer onto the black paper and trim to leave a very narrow border on all 4 sides. Layer this panel down onto the silver pearl card and trim to leave a slightly wider border. Layer this panel down onto the ribbon leaving an even border left and right.
11. Add gem to the centre of the stamped border