Vintage Paper Piecing Card
Timing 60 minutes
Free Acid Drops & Whatnot cover mount set
6" x 6" square cream card
Core'dinations black / cream cardstock
AD412678 Le suh paper pack Paisley Vine
Black memento ink pad
Black Versafine ink
Letraset Pro Markers
3mm foam square
8 x 2mm pink gems
Tombow glue stick
Paper sanding block
How to Create
1. Cut piece of black core'dinations card 10cm x 10cm and using the free Embossing folder cover mount. Sand Gently over the raised black embossed design until the cream colour shows through. Sand edges of the black embossed panel if desired.
2. Layer this panel onto a piece of cream card and trim to leave a narrow, (2mm,) border on all 4 sides. Layer again onto black card and trim to leave a very narrow, (1mm), even border on all 4 sides.
3. Cut a piece of the pale pink Le Suh paisley vine paper 14.5cm x 14.5cm. Layer onto black card and leave a narrow, (2mm), border on all 4 sides. layer this down onto the cream card.
4. Stamp 2 lady in the hat images onto white card using the black Memento ink pad. Clean the stamp. Stamp the same image twice onto the pink paisley vine paper and once onto a sheet of pale yellow paisley paper from the pack, using the black Versafine ink
5. Colour 1 of the images stamped onto white card using the Letraset Pro Markers. Carefully cut out the uncoloured white image, cut a wavy line across the bottom to soften the edge of the design. From one of the pink images cut the bottom half of the image from the neck down leaving extra paper at the bottom of the image. Glue this layer over the white one, Turn over and trim the bottom edge of the pink paper to match the white one.
6. From the yellow image cut out the entire head and hat cutting across the shoulder but around the back sleeve. Layer down over the full image. From the coloured lady image cut away the back sleeve and the hat, except for the part in the middle, leave extra card at the bottom so that you can turn it over and trim to match the other layers after you have glued it down.
7. Finally cut the front of the hat, including the long top strip from one of the pink images and glue this on top, allow to dry. Roll all of the edges gently over a pen or similar curved surface, touch up any edges with a black Pro marker if necessary and apply to the front of the card using 3mm foam squares and add the pink gems to the necklace to ass glamour and hide the joins
When paper piecing, to get a convincing looking finish don't skimp on the layers. Think of it as decoupage and you build your colour layers up accordingly one on top of the other. This adds dimension and a more realistic, rounded look.
Matching Dotty Card
Timing 30 minutes
Free Acid Drops & Whatnots cover mount set
2 x A4 white card
Silver Mirri Card
Double sided brown dotty / pink paper
Worn Lipstick distress ink pad
Tuxedo Black Memento ink pad
3mm foam pad
Baby sponge or cut n dry foam
Manual die cutting machine
1 x 3mm AB gem
How to create
1. Cut a sheet of A4 white card 29cm x 14.5cm, score and fold in half to make an 14.5 square card. From the remaining sheet cut piece 10cm x 10cm and 4cm x 1.7mm.
2. From the double sided brown dotty / pink paper cut a piece 14.5cm x 7cmx and a 14.5cm strip featuring a row of white dots.
3. Take the 10cm square piece of white card and emboss the swirl border onto it using the manual die cutting machine
4. Take the Worn Lipstick Distress pad and the sponge and swirl ink around the edges and into the corners of the stamped image panel, stopping at the inside edge of the embossed border. Start lightly, using circular movements and try to avoid leaving any hard lines, the embossed border will pick up more ink and appear darker.
5. Using the Tuxedo Black ink pad stamp the first part of the greeting into the top right hand corner of the embossed frame and the second part into the bottom left. Stamp the lady with the mirror image centrally into the remaining space. Colour with Promarkers.
6. Stamp the greeting onto the smaller piece of white card also using the Tuxedo Black Memento pad.
7. Layer stamped image panel onto the silver Mirri card and trim to leave an even, (3mm), border on all 4 sides. Layer the greeting panel onto the mirri card and trim to leave a narrow, (2mm), border on all 4 sides. Layer the remaining 2 pieces of brown dotty paper onto the silver mirri card and trim to leave a very narrow, (1mm), border on the long edges.
8. With the fold of the card at the top, layer the larger brown dotty panel vertically onto the card leaving an even distance on both sides. Layer the image panel onto the card about 6mm down from the top edge and the dotty border across the card about the same distance from the bottom of the card. Layer on the remaining greeting panel using 3mm foam squares.
9. Apply the 3mm AB gem to the lady's ear.
A good rule of thumb when you are designing your card layouts is to break up lots of vertical lines with a horizontal one. This adds interest to the card and draws your eye through your design.